Thursday 24 February 2022

Review: A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin

I downloaded this book after reading an interview with the author. The cover is absolutely beautiful but (ironically) had originally put me off because I thought the story was a satire. A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting is actually a sweet homage to Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen.

Regency England, 1818, and Kitty Talbot has been left destitute by the deaths of her father (once a member of the ton) and mother (an ex-courtesan). She has several sisters to support, as well as a crumbling house, and the bailiffs are due to collect in 12 weeks. What's a girl to do? Go to London and seek an eligible bachelor with a fortune of course!

A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting is a lot of fun. There are the usual romance tropes (enemies-to-lovers: my favourite!), lots of banter, a refreshingly independent heroine, eccentric relatives and a swoon-worthy hero. Historically accurate, with lush descriptions of gowns and parties, but also a nod to the fact that the Regency period was not such a fun place to live if you had no money or society connections.

This was a five-star read for me because I really enjoyed it - it's the perfect escapism! The only drawback (and this is probably because I've read a lot of Georgette Heyer), is that I'd have liked a more original twist on the characters and plot.

If you enjoyed this, you might also like The Grand Sophy or Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer. Or, if you prefer something with more 'heat', perhaps Julia Quinn (Bridgerton) or Lisa Kleypas (The Devil in Winter).


Thank you to Sophie Irwin and Harper Collins UK for my copy of this book, which I requested via NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment