Tuesday 1 February 2022

Review: The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews

I love historical fiction and The Leviathan has such a beautiful cover, I couldn't resist downloading it!

Norfolk 1643. Civil War is tearing England apart and reluctant soldier Thomas Treadwater is summoned home by his sister Esther, who making what seems like outlandish accusations about their servants. Thomas is fully aware these are strange times, with misogyny and jealousy between neighbours fuelling mass hysteria, resulting in witch trials across the country. He prides himself on being a rational, modern man, but by the time he arrives home, his father is insensible from a stroke and the farm animals are all dead. Is the cause malicious? Or is something more supernatural at work...

I found the book a little hard to get into at first (I've always struggled with the authentic language sometimes found in historical novels), but once I got into the story I was completely gripped. This isn't another 'witch trials' novel, but something darker with some clever twists. I couldn't help smiling at the thought that the 'witch hunter' really didn't know what he was getting into!

The Leviathan leans towards gothic horror, as Thomas tries to sort out the facts around the strange events affecting his family. There's even a touch of romance. I loved the atmospheric setting and the mounting tension as Thomas finally confronts what has wrecked such havoc on his family. I'm not sure I would have made his decisions, but this is a fabulously entertaining story - the perfect read for a dark and stormy night!

Thank you to Rosie Andrews and Raven Books/Bloomsbury Publishing for my copy of this book, which I requested via NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment