Wednesday 29 July 2020

Review: The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

I love reading traditional murder mysteries and thought the premise of this story - a group of elderly sleuths investigating a murder mystery at a retirement village - sounded intriguing and original.

Four friends meet up once a month to discuss old murder cases to see if they can solve them. Except the four friends live in a retirement village and one day they find themselves with a real murder to investigate. They run rings around the police, who keep underestimating them, because each one of these friends has a particular skill, or a job they used to do in the past, that helps them work as a team to solve the murders.

It was refreshing to read about four characters who are pushing eighty and having a lovely time manipulating the police (who eventually realise they are completely outwitted and decide to just go along with the flow). Elizabeth was a fabulous character; we never did learn what she used to be in her former life - a spy? I also loved Ron, the mouthy ex-union boss.

The Thursday Murder Club is a classic murder mystery with lots of red herrings and clever twists. It's witty and smart but also poignant in places, and it tied my poor brain in knots as I tried to work out whodunit. The characters were brilliant and thoroughly engaging. I did find myself sympathising with the police as they were outwitted at every turn.

The Thursday Murder Club would suit any reader who loves a 'puzzle' kind of mystery and authors such as Elly Griffiths and Kate Ellis. I was also reminded of Joanna Cannon's Three Things About Elsie.

One of my favourite reads this year. I do hope it is the start of a new series!


Thank you to Richard Osman and Viking (Penguin Books) for my copy of this book, which I received via NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment