Tuesday 26 May 2020

Review: Beach Read by Emily Henry

One of my all-time favourite genres is romantic comedy. Combine that with the gorgeous, eye-catching cover of this book and I could not wait to read it.

Beach Read is the story of two authors suffering from writers' block. January writes romance but no longer believes in happy endings; Gus writes literary fiction but has found himself in a rut. They end up in neighbouring beach houses over the summer, each with a deadline fast approaching. A flippant joke that maybe they should write their books in each other's genres spirals into reality. January takes Gus to the places she uses as settings for her stories, including a country and western bar for a line-dancing adventure, and Gus takes January on one of his research trips - to the burnt-out campus of a cult...

Without giving too much away, Beach Read is an old-school romantic comedy in the style of those classic movies, While You Were Sleeping and You've Got Mail (Bridget Jones also gets a mention), with an affectionate nod to much-loved romance tropes.

It's chock full of romance and humour, and absolutely perfect for someone like me, who has read all the romcoms, knows all the tropes, and is the kind of smarty-pants who always assumes they can guess what is coming next. I adored the characters (particularly Gus) and the gorgeous lakeside setting makes it the perfect beach read. (See what I did there?)

Basically, I LOVED Beach Read and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves good old-fashioned romantic comedy with a sparkling fresh twist.


Thank you to Emily Henry and Penguin Books (UK) for my copy of this book, which I requested from NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment