Monday 7 January 2019

Review: Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson #2) by Will Dean

I read the first book in this series last summer and absolutely loved it, so I was thrilled to receive an early copy of Red Snow.

Tuva Moodyson is a city girl who hates nature but lives in the tiny, rural Swedish village of Gavrik. She works as a reporter for the local newspaper but is desperate to move back to civilisation. Covering the 'Ferryman' series of murders is her last story before she starts her longed-for new job. The murders centre around the local liquorice factory and the wealthy family that own it. But as Tuva investigates, she soon finds out that everything is not as it seems, and that trusting the wrong people is about to put her in real danger.

This is fast becoming my new favourite series. Slightly darker than the usual murder mystery, I love the eccentric characters and the detailed description of life in rural Sweden, where the temperature can drop to minus 20 degrees in the winter. Tuva is a great character, thoroughly engaging; stoic, with a dry wit. Her fellow inhabitants of Gavrik are completely eccentric - and not in a lovable way! I especially liked the way the characters from the first book appeared again but I also fell in love with the gloriously mad Grimberg family, living a half-life in their apartment above the liquorice factory, ruled by wacky superstition and desperate to keep up appearances. I didn't guess the identity of the murderer either, which is always a plus for me!

Red Snow can be read as a standalone, but you'll enjoy the series more if you start with the first one, Dark Pines. It's well-written, not too violent, and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves cleverly-plotted murder mysteries, particularly the kind where you have to solve a puzzle.


Thank you to Will Dean and Point Blank (Oneworld) for my copy of this book, which I requested from NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

Related post:

No comments:

Post a Comment