Thursday 5 July 2018

Review: Dark Pines (A Tuva Moodyson Mystery #1) by Will Dean

I read two books simultaneously this week: both set in sinister forests, both vastly different, both absolutely brilliant. (The other one was Uprooted by Naomi Novik). On the surface Dark Pines is a Scandinavian murder mystery, but I liked the way the author gave the rural Swedish village setting a slight fairy tale quality, with very quirky (sometimes downright oddball) inhabitants. A kind of Nordic noir crossed with Twin Peaks.

Twenty years ago a serial killer murdered three hunters in Utgard Forest, removing their eyes; now it appears he's back. Tuva Moodyson, a reporter for the town paper, is hoping to use this story to kickstart her career. She's interviewing the locals, hoping to learn how this series of tragedies is affecting their lives, but is the killer hiding amongst them?

I loved this book! I adored Tuva and the way the author took his time to create the world she lives in. I did work out the identity of the bad guy pretty quickly, but then I do read a lot of crime fiction. It didn't stop me enjoying the story and appreciating how clever the author was in setting up each clue and red herring. The writing is good, each eccentric character fairly leapt off the page, and I loved all the little details about life in rural Sweden - even the descriptions of the mosquitoes and ticks!

Dark Pines would appeal to anyone who likes the kind of murder mystery where they can solve a puzzle. There is little violence and nothing too gruesome - provided you don't mind the occasional mention of that serial-killer-who-removes-eyeballs thing. I really enjoyed it, have no hesitation in recommending it, and I'm really looking forward to reading the next one in the series.


Thank you to Will Dean and Point Blank (Oneworld) for my copy of this book, which I requested from NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment