Thursday 1 July 2021

Review: The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell

I love Lisa Jewell. She's one of my favourite authors. When I read The Family Upstairs, I had thought nothing could top it - but I love this book even more. It has everything: strong characters, a claustrophobic mystery, a gothic house, creepy teenagers - and a cute dog! It's the kind of book you have to read faster and faster because you're really worried about how it's all going to end!

The Night She Disappeared is told over two timelines by multiple viewpoints. In 2017, Tallulah goes on a date with her boyfriend Zach, leaving her baby with her mother Kim. The next morning Tallulah still hasn't come home. Kim discovers that Tallulah and Zach were invited to the local big house, Dark Place (which already has a sinister reputation), but when Kim calls around the owner says that all the teenagers left after the party. Kim knows Tallulah would never willingly abandon her baby. So where is she? 

Then two years later, when everyone but Kim has moved on with their lives, a crime writer called Sophie spots a sign in the local woods that says 'Dig Here'...

The Night She Disappeared is a clever, twisty mystery that doesn't let up on the suspense or tension for a second. I particularly loved the character of Kim, who refuses to give up hope that her daughter will be found, even though all the evidence is to the contrary. Tallulah's friend, Scarlett, is an intriguing character, and I loved the spookiness and legends of Dark Place. Fans of Lisa Jewell will love it. One of my favourite reads this year.


Thanks to Lisa Jewell and Cornerstone/Century/Random House UK for my copy of this book, which I requested from NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment