Tuesday 6 November 2018

Review: The Other Miss Bridgerton (The Rokesbys Book 3) by Julia Quinn

I do love Julia Quinn's novels, so as soon as I saw this I dropped everything to read it. I adore the escapism of historical romances, particularly ones with humour, and the author's 'Bridgerton' series is one of my favourites. This book is the third in her 'Rokesby' series, which often features characters from the earlier generation of Bridgertons. It can be read as a stand-alone.

While visiting her friend on the Dorset coast, Poppy Bridgerton is pleasantly surprised to discover a smugglers' hideaway tucked inside a cave. But her delight turns to dismay when two pirates kidnap her and take her aboard a ship, leaving her bound and gagged on the captain's bed.

So far, so good, I thought! Unfortunately Captain Andrew James Rokesby turns out to be the perfect gentleman. He's also a spy working for the British government, rather than a pirate, and is forced to take Poppy along on his time-sensitive mission to Portugal.

As with all Julia Quinn's books, I loved the characters and the brilliant dialogue. This is the perfect story for readers who love 'meet cute' and the slow burn romance of two characters getting to know each other. For me, however, it felt like nothing much happened until 70%, when something fairly dramatic did happen (no spoilers, sorry!). I really liked that bit! And also the end was lovely and romantic.

Recommended for fans of the light, romcom style of historical romance, and authors such as Eloisa James. This was a solid four-star read for me.

Thank you to Julia Quinn and Piatkus for my copy of this book, which I requested from NetGalley and reviewed voluntarily.

Related Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment