Tuesday 13 February 2018

Review: Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

It was Georgette Heyer who kindled my love of escapist historical romance. I originally read Faro's Daughter as a teenager and it remained one of my favourite books for a long time. When it came up as a 99p Kindle Daily Deal, I was curious to see if the story would seem dated or old-fashioned after all this time. Well, I absolutely loved it and it was as good as I remembered! Although one thing I did notice this time around was how many of my favourite historical romance authors Georgette Heyer has inspired!

Deborah Grantham, well-born but fallen on hard-times, runs her aunt's exclusive gaming establishment. Lord Mablethorpe is desperate to marry her but unable to do so until he either reaches his majority or gains the approval of his wealthy guardian, Max Ravenscar. Max, while utterly horrified, is far too clever to tell him he can't marry Deborah. Instead, believing her to be the worst kind of gold-digger, Max attempts to buy her off. Deborah, understandably, is furious, and the battle between them begins.

I love this kind of book. Engaging characters, sparkling dialogue, witty one-liners and one of my favourite tropes, a hero and heroine at war with each other due to a complete misunderstanding. Great fun!

Recommended to all fans of historical romance, particularly readers of Eloisa James and Julia Quinn. But bear in mind that this was originally written in 1941, so there are no sex scenes and very little kissing.

No comments:

Post a Comment